Apple releases iTunes 12.2 with Apple Music and Beats 1 integration
In addition to releasingÂ the latest iOS 8.4 software update for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and posting the newÂ OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 update for the Mac, Apple has now issuedÂ a brand new version of iTunes for Mac and Windows PCs with built-in support for the new Apple Music on-demand subscription music service, Beats 1 global Internet radio and more.
You must install iOS 8.4 on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to enjoy Apple Music. iTunes 12.2 is required to enjoy Apple Music and Beats 1 radio streaming on your Mac or Windows computer.
Whatâs new in iTunes 12.2
iTunes 12.2 brings support for listening to Beats 1 live Internet radio programming, as well as for streaming songs through Apple Music.
You will notice a brand new For You section which lets you browse songs Apple thinks youâll love, based on your taste and past listening history. In addition to For You, another section labeled New provides a curated selection of new song and album releases.
Lastly, thereâs a Connect section where you can check out additional materials artists may post for music lovers to enjoy, such as lyrics, photo galleries, behind-the-scene videos, additional recordings and more.
The three new sections are also available on iOS 8.4âs revamped Music app.
iTunes 12.2 changelog
Apple has provided the following description of new features in iTunes 12.2:
- For Youâ"Get playlist and album recommendations youâll love, selected just for you based on your musical tastes. The more you listen, the better For You gets.
- Newâ"Discover the best new music, handpicked by our music editors. Explore mixes created just for activities like exercising, or find great handcrafted playlists in a wide variety of genres. With Apple Music, youâll always have the perfect soundtrack for any occasion.
- Connectâ"A single place to connect with your favorite artists. See thoughts, photos, music, and videos shared from your favorite artists. You can comment on or love anything an artist has posted, and the artist can respond to you directly.
- Beats 1â"Tune in to Beats 1, broadcast live from cities around the globe. Enjoy music, interviews, exclusive radio shows, and the best of whatâs going on in the world of music. Beats 1â"worldwide and always on.
- Apple Music Radioâ"Radio has been completely redesigned. Play from Featured Stations, where our music experts hand select every song you hear. Or, start a new station from any artist or song. In addition, itâs now easy to quickly return to your favorite stations with Recently Played.
- My Musicâ"Find all your music in one place, including iTunes purchases, music youâve imported from CD, and now songs from Apple Music.
- iTunes Storeâ"The iTunes Store is still the best place to buy your favorite music, one song or album at a time.
Apple Music is free to try for three months.
Following the trial period, your credit card on file will be charged $9.99 per month to continue enjoying features likeÂ unlimited streaming with offline playback and more.
A $14.99 tier for families up to six is available, too.
If youâre going to check out Apple Music, read Codyâs tutorial which explains how to disable the auto-renewal option to avoid charges after your free trial.
How to update iTunes for Mac
First open iTunes on your Mac.
If an update prompt doesnât show up automatically, choose iTunes > Check for Updates in the applicationâs menu bar. Follow the prompts to upgrade your copy of iTunes for Mac to the latest version.
Tip: You can also check for an update to iTunes using OS Xâs Software Update mechanism. Simply choose App Store in the Finderâs Apple menu, or open Mac App Store from the Dock, and click the Updates tab.
How to update iTunes for Windows
Open iTunes on your Windows PC.
Now select Help > Check for Updates in the menu bar. Youâll be prompted to install the latest version of iTunes so follow the on-screen instructions from that point onward.
Tip: If you donât see the menu bar, press the Control + B combination on your keyboard.
iTunes system requirements
On OS X, iTunes requires a Mac with an Intel Core processor, OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later, 400MB of freeÂ disk space and broadband Internet connection to use iTunes Store.
On Windows PCs, minimum system requirements include a PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor, 512MB of RAM, Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later, 400MB of available disk space and broadband Internet connection to use iTunes Store.
32-bit editions of iTunes support Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8. 64-bit editions of iTunes are available for Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Where to download iTunes from?
How do you like Apple Music and Beats 1 integration in iTunes 12.2?
Share your early impressions with fellow readers down in the comment section.