Saturday, August 2, 2014

Fooling Around with iPhone Photography – Teaneck Camera Club

By Ellen Bedrosian

When I got my first iPhone in 2010, iPhone photography was already in its pre-school stage. Apps and accessories were readily available, and Tony Sweet had recorded an instructional video, Getting Started in iPhone Photography. I attended one of his seminars at B&H back then and learned about some of his favorite apps at the time, including one that I got a lot of use out of, Pic Grunger. On a field trip to Sandy Hook with the club, I snapped an image of a clothesline. It was just a so-so image until I played around with it in Pic Grunger. The final image (below) turned out to be one of my favorite images, one that I still get compliments on from other members. It even won a Medal in the May 2011 Pictorial competition.

Hanging me out to dry â€" iPhone 3Gs with Pic Grunger

The cameras that come equipped with the latest iPhone models are better than some point & shoots. With built-in HDR, auto-flash, filters and pano options, you always have a versatile and compact camera with you when you’re on the go. But you can do so much more!

With a variety of new apps, you can turn your images into works of art. One of Tony’s blog posts, The iPhone Loves Iceland [1] , inspired to me to try Snapseed on an old photo of a sunflower shot with my 3Gs. I loved the angle of the sunflower but when I shot it, the sun was starting to set and the 3Gs didn’t have a fill flash. The result was a really dark center, not usable as a straight image. Snapseed opened up some possibilities for salvaging the image, making it into an image that garnered a few comments and favs on Flickr.

Sunflower â€" iPhone 3Gs with Snapseed Grunge style & texture

Other cool apps that Tony mentions in his post are PhotoForge, Mextures and Autostich for your panoramas. Haven’t tried them yet but when I do, I’ll let you know.

Other apps I use fairly frequently are Adobe PS Express, a surprisingly robust version of PhotoShop for your iPhone that is free. Not only can you crop, straighten, remove red-eye, reduce noise, sharpen, adjust contrast and brighten (just to name a few) you can also add filters, or what they call “looks.” You can also purchase “premium looks” but I haven’t done that because there’s still so much free stuff to play with in the app.

One more app I like to use occasionally is Old Photo PRO. This apps creates an image with a vintage-look from modern captures, like this one of my cat, Cheech.

Cheech â€" iPhone 5s, Old Photo PRO

For more information on iPhone photography from the guru, visit Tony Sweet’s iPhone instructional videos [2] . You’ll be amazed at all there is out there for those who love to use their iPhone camera.

Posted in Club News .

Tagged with , , , , , , , , , .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog