Wednesday, April 25, 2012

IN PROGRESS | Week in the Life 2012

Since Monday, I've been in photo hyperdrive participating in Week In The Life. Created by Ali Edwards [1] , this project challenges you to document your life through photos and words for a week. Think Project Life on steroids. You can gets the ins and outs on Ali's blog here [2] .

I thought I'd pop in with a mid-week update and put in my two cents on the process.

MY DESIGN PLAN

Though I love my album from last year , it was a bit of a marathon. I had pre-designed three different templates for 8.5x11 spreads, as well baseball card protector inserts for each day of the week. That added up to at least a dozen images daily. Too much for me.

This year I'm going for a looser, more simplified approach. My inspiration is this 8x8 photo book I made for my husband in 2008 to mark our pre-kids, footloose and fancy free life in L.A. It has bare bones design with an emphasis on photo play.

Here are a few of the pages:

I'm planning on adding some text in the Week In The Life album for dates and journaling, but the goal is simple, simple, simple. I also bought 8x8 page protectors that will pop into my Project Life album. It's going to count as this week's entry there, I don't see the need to double up.

NOTES ON THE PROCESS

  • I find it really helpful having an idea of what the final result might look like when you're shooting photos. If design isn't your thing, Ali has some awesome templates [3] you can pop your photos into.
  • I'm shooting with my iPhone and my Canon G10 Powershot. I've already used the self-timer to take photos of myself working at the computer and washing dishes.
  • Take a gazillion shots. You want to have options and variety when you go to put your pages together.
  • Shake up your perspectives when shooting. Close up, faraway. Stand on a chair, get down on the ground, tilt the camera, use mirrors.
  • I never ever use a flash. Natural light always. 
  • I downloaded a free dictation app on my iPhone to take notes. Great to get thoughts down in the car. It doesn't pick up on every word and inserts some interesting interpretations, but it gets basic ideas typed up for you. I also tend to email myself notes quite a bit. 
  • I prepared my husband for this week and he's been great about taking photos with his own phone to help me out.
  • Don't put off pulling your album together when the week is over! Rip the Band-aid and do it while everything is fresh in your mind. 

I hope that's helpful if you're playing along. If you are, how's it going? I'm looking forward to checking out everyone's work!

Links
  1. ^ Ali Edwards (aliedwards.com)
  2. ^ here (aliedwards.com)
  3. ^ awesome templates (aliedwards.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog