Sunday, June 3, 2012

VaultBox.me - Orlando Sentinel

Daniel Vasquez, Sun Sentinel
10:43 a.m. EST, June 3, 2012

Maybe it's a thief who enters your home, maybe a cruel storm. Imagine you just lost everything.

What will you do first?

If you have homeowners insurance, you'll race to file a claim. But to do so, you might need proper proof of what you owned.

That's the idea behind VaultBox.me, a free iPhone [1] and iPad [2] app that integrates with an online cloud storage system. The app and Website allows users to photograph and document their own valuables and then store the data via secure cloud servers managed by the South Florida company.

Then, if the worst happens, you at least have proof for your insurer of what was wiped away.

"The app is designed to store everything you need to file for an insurance claim," said Jacob Israel [3] , who co-founded VaultBox with partner Mauricio Jimenez and opened shop in Miramar [4] in January. "The trick to getting reimbursed is proper documentation."

VaultBox.me cannot guarantee reimbursement. The app just makes the process more convenient, Israel said, and keeps the proof, such as serial numbers and copies of receipts, in a secure place away from the home should a robber or storm strike.

I like that the app highlights a chore many of us don't realize is critical to replacing lost belongings.

"I started using the app because of a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood," said Cristina Maxwell of Pembroke Pines [5] . "I know it won't prevent a theft or hurricane, but I feel like I have a better chance to recoup my losses." Maxwell said she has cataloged 150 items with VaultBox.me, including computers and TVs.

Manny Ruiz of Oviedo logged his Dell laptop, iPhone and Blackberry. "I was recently the victim of theft, so I know all about losses," he said. "I grew up in Florida, I am well aware of the devastation of a hurricane." Ruiz said the service is worth what he pays, $15 per month.

The first 10 items anyone documents are free at VaulBox.me. After that, a paid tier system ranges in cost from $1.25 per month ($14.99 per year) for up to 50 items to $5 per month ($59.99 per year) for 12,000 items. Users have 24-hour access to their VaultBox.me files, which are managed by the company but ultimately stored on Amazon.com servers.

If you plan to document your own items:

Inventory your entire home.

Include all proof of ownership, including the date you purchased an item, photos of you holding the item and credit card statements.

Don't store files in your home, where they can be stolen or damaged.

dvasquez@tribune.com , 954-356-4219 or 561-243-6686.

Links
  1. ^ iPhone (www.orlandosentinel.com)
  2. ^ iPad (www.orlandosentinel.com)
  3. ^ Israel (www.orlandosentinel.com)
  4. ^ Miramar (www.orlandosentinel.com)
  5. ^ Pembroke Pines (www.orlandosentinel.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog