Sunday, October 23, 2011

Whacksy Taxi free iPhone app review

Whacksy Taxi: 4 out of 5

I love the theory of highway driving—the open road in front of you… the air conditioner blasting in your face… the freedom to go anywhere. But once I get on the highway, knowing that my butt is going to be glued to that seat for two hours, or three hours, or even two days straight, my blood sugar immediately drops. Just to keep from dozing off, I have to keep a hefty reserve of Funyuns, Mountain Dew, and gummy bears on hand while I sing along with old Guns and Roses cds on full volume. I also suffer from horrible highway hypnosis, so I physically have to slap myself about every five minutes or so. Needless to say, I really don’t do much highway driving anymore.

Luckily, I can live out the dream of highway freedom with Whacksy Taxi. It’s a great little racing game with three variations: Arcade Mode—where you have a life meter that gradually decreases each time you smack another driver’s bumper, Classic Mode—where you just head down the highway like a maniac and basically never die, or Survival Mode, where you get one crash and you’re out. Survival Mode is my favorite, since it’s the most challenging and keeps me on my toes. In Classic Mode, I zone out after about thirty seconds, after which I have the irresistible urge to take a nap.

Your goal here is to drive your taxi cross-country, with left/right and jump controls to weave through or hop over traffic. Oh yeah—you can break, too, but who uses that? There are also little boost badges you can gather along the way that let you hover, warp speed, or gain invincibility. Every so often you’ll hit an extra bonus stretch, where everything becomes badges and extra points.

Whacksy Taxi is probably the second funnest driving game I’ve ever played (behind Mario Kart, of course, which—come on, is just never going to be beaten, especially by an iPhone game), and Whacksy Taxi is also great to have on your phone to pull out and play when you have a couple of minutes to waste at the bus stop. You can definitely change up your strategy to suit your current mood, too. Sometimes I’ll want to bob and weave to see how long I can go without jumping, and other times I just tailgate behind other drivers and bump them over and over while they cartoon curse me out. It’s a great way to safely get out all my road rage.

You can purchase upgrades to gain additional maps, car designs, and other features. I think it would be worth it to provide a little extra variation to the game. But even if you only download the free version, this app should provide plenty of hours of fun.

Price: $0.99 (This was FREE for Monster Free Apps users. Save $$ and download it now!)

Download Monster Free Apps from App Store

Whacksy Taxi Screen Shot

Whacksy Taxi Review

Category: Games Updated: Mar 18, 2011 Version: 1.0.4 Size: 58.4 MB Language: English Seller: Mindstorm Studios © 2010 Mindstorm Studios Rated 4+

No comments:

Post a Comment