I remember the first time I played the original Legend of Zelda on my brand new Nintendo. I was ten, and my mom and I stayed up until two in the morning that first night playing it. By the end of the week, my mom had drawn a series of detailed maps and pretty much hijacked the whole system. Those were the days. And sure, adventure video games have come a long way since then, but there’s something sweetly nostalgic about the old pixilated, boxy characters that you scoot around horizontally and vertically in search of keys or pieces of heart to extend your life meter.
Legends of Yore Full captures that old school sense of adventure, and it’s a fun change of pace from the more advanced graphics you get with every other game on the market. However, I think the title really should be changed to Legends of Yore (Full), since it is the full pay version of the free but upgradable Legends of Yore, and not a medieval competitive eating game like I first though it was.
You start off by selecting your character’s class—either warrior, archer, or wizard. I haven’t quite figured out which is best yet, or even exactly what each character does differently, mostly because it’s hard to tell what exactly is happening thanks to the game’s purposely low-fi graphics. The text is blocky, small, and hard to read as well, so most of the time I was just having fun just running around obliviously, entering buildings and caves at random, shootin’ the breeze with the bartender at the Crooked Beak, and fighting skeletons in graveyard.
For a while there at the beginning, a chicken was following me around for some reason. I wasn’t sure if it was attacking me, or if it was leeching onto me like some sort of alien parasite sucking my life force. I stabbed it a couple times just to be safe, and I got a drumstick to put in my knapsack. Ooh, bonus! But then later I found out that you can have pets follow you around and do special things for you, and then I sort of went through a little grieving phase for killing my beloved pal, Plucky. I vowed to only eat his little drumstick if I was stuck out in a blizzard somewhere, starving. Thanks, buddy!
Overall, there’s a lot to this game that will take you plenty of time to completely explore, so you’ll get lots of bang for your money. You can also save your progress at any time, even though you shouldn’t really have to. Ultimately, it’s pretty laid back for an adventure game, which I imagine suits its intended audience (and I’m going out on a limb here, so feel free to correct me): hipsters and stoners. Not that there’s anything wrong with either of those groups, or that there’s any sort of benefit to doing drugs, either. (Drugs aren’t cool, kids! Don’t do them!) But I’m pretty sure the boyfriend I had freshman year of college is playing this game right now as we speak.
Price: $1.99 (This was FREE for Monster Free Apps users. Save $$ and download it now!)
Legends of Yore Full Screen Shot
Category: Games Updated: Oct 12, 2011 Version: 1000 Size: 3.8 MB Language: English Seller: K Glass © Coke and Code 2011 Rated 9+ for the following: Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
No comments:
Post a Comment